REALTORS® are frequently the first people called when someone realizes that keeping the family home may have become questionable.
Here is a list of HUD-approved counseling agencies with phone numbers. It was developed by the East Tennessee Foreclosure Task Force First Responders group.
These organizations are trained and more knowledgeable with handling your needs:
- RC&D Resource Conservation & Development: 865-828-5927
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Greater Atlanta-Knoxville: 800-251-2227 (available 24/7 and translation services are available)
- Knox Housing Partnership: 865-637-1679
- Knoxville Area Urban League: 865-524-5511
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee: 800-821-1312
- Legal Aid of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands: 800-483-8457
It is suggested you call your lender and request to speak with someone in the LOAN MITIGATION department, especially if you are three months or more behind in your payment.
When you call the lender, write down the person's name and number. It will come in handy if you need to call again.
Gather all your mortgage documents (original loan papers, mortgage statements, any correspondence, etc.) together in a folder.
HUD Guide to Avoiding Foreclosures
USDA Rural Development - Tennessee State Offices